FORTS and FORTIFICATIONS: St. Andrews Blockhouses >

From The Beacon, St. Andrews, NB, June 4, 1891 Well on to eighty years have passed since the block houses were erected in St. Andrews. Three of them were put up, one at Joe’s Point, one at the Western block, and one at the lighthouse wharf, near Indian Point. Their primary purpose was for the protection of the inhabitants of the peninsula against attacks of unfriendly Indians from United States territory, but the Indians never came, although they were frequently seen hovering around the shore on the Maine side of the St. Croix. In those days these wooden forts were considered almost impregnable against the attack of such an enemy, and certainly the precautions that were taken to strengthen them would justify such an idea.

StAndrews Blockhouses

DOWNLOAD THIS PDF

Leave a Reply